EAST SYRACUSE FREE LIBRARY History
The East Syracuse Free Library was conceived at a public meeting held in Columbian Hall at
the East Syracuse High School late in the fall of 1923. At this meeting it was decided to canvass
the Village of East Syracuse in an attempt to raise $1,000. The drive for funds turned out to be a
success and the East Syracuse Free Library opened its doors on February 9, 1924. With the help of
the Friends of Reading of Syracuse, a collection of 600 volumes was acquired. In addition, a $400
contract was made with the Syracuse Public Library which loaned 400 books to be exchanged as
often as desired.
The first home of the library was the village office in the old fire barn. The village clerk had his desk
on one side and the library was set up on the other side. Bookcases were built by the men of the
library association and the women arranged a volunteer staff to help with circulation. After about
three months a young woman was hired to act as librarian at a salary of $15 per month. The library
was open 12 hours a week.
In 1924 a Provisional Charter was received from the State Board of Regents followed a few years
later in 1927 with a Permanent Charter. During this time an appropriation of $1,000 for the support of
the library was written into the village budget and Blanche Reis was appointed head librarian, a
position she held for 25 years. In January 1929, after being housed for a brief period of time in the
Engineers and Conductors Building, the library moved back to the then new municipal building.
By 1964 the library served not only the village but residents from the towns of Manlius and DeWitt as
well. The library housed 8,185 volumes, circulated over 40,000 items and had 2,376 registered
borrowers. The Town of DeWitt, the Town of Manlius, and the ESM School District assisted the
Village in the maintenance of our library. Membership in the Onondaga County System provided
even greater circulation and many more borrowers with varied needs and interests. All this occurred
in a space of two rooms and it soon became evident that the library was running out of room.
Planning began in 1967 to generate public interest for a new building and a drive to raise money was
headed by the Jaycees bringing the library to its current location. Construction began in June 1971
and was completed that December. In 1977, it was decided a community room was needed and at
the cost of $27,000, an extension was added on. This room is in constant demand by Parks and
Recreation, various organizations, and of course the library.
As of January 2023 the library has over 5,000 registered borrowers and houses over 27,000 items for circulation. This number consists of Fiction books, Non Fiction books, Large Print, Audio books, DVDs, periodicals and learning kits. In addition, the library has downloadable music and e-books. The collection circulated over 76,700 items in 2022. The library has seven public access computers, provides wireless access, and a copy/fax machine. The library has an HDTV, laptop and a blu-ray player available for public use.
The mission of the East Syracuse Free Library is to serve as a community center by providing free and equal access to information, knowledge, and ideas that foster individual and community development for members of all ages.
The East Syracuse Free Library Board of Trustees and staff members envision a future in which the library's collections and programs continue to provide community residents of all ages an encouraging and welcoming environment for its users. We will continue to provide access to information and entertainment resources. We will continue to provide a pleasant and safe environment for individuals and groups. We will recognize and be sensitive to the needs of our community by adopting and adapting the services we provide through continuous evaluations by setting and maintaining established goals and objectives as needed.
Board Of Trustees
Alan DePietro, President
Angela Epolito, Vice President
Vacant , Treasurer
Lisa Wojtaszek, Board Clerk
Laurie Rachetta, Executive Director
Meetings are held
September – June
Wednesday evenings @ 7:00 P.M.
first Wednesday after Labor Day
Annual Meeting April
No meetings in July & August
THE EAST SYRACUSE FREE LIBRARY IS A REPOSITORY FOR BRISTOL MYERS SQUIBB, LOCKHEED MARTIN, the I-81 PROJECTS AND THE FORMER GREINER ORCHARDS.
Book Donation Policy
The East Syracuse Free Library will accept book donations throughout the calendar year and must be approved by the staff. We also accept DVD’s and CD’s. No donations will be accepted during the month of August due to tax restrictions. Books must be in excellent condition and either recent or of ongoing interest to contemporary readers. The Library cannot accept old textbooks, magazines, encyclopedias, or cassettes. Once donated, all items become the unconditional property of the Library. Gift receipts are available upon request. No returns and no refunds.
Materials available at esfl
At the ESFL all books, and audio books go out for a three week loan with two renewals, when available. If an item is being requested by another patron, renewals will be denied. Videos, DVDs, and magazines go out for one week loans with two renewals when available. There is a three day grace period on all items. However, if the item is returned after the grace period, you will be charged for the three days, as well as any extra time that the item was out for. We welcome telephone renewals. Fines for children's materials are 10 cents a day, and all other materials are 20 cents per day.